Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hack PGP

From: "David J. Bianco" <bianco () jlab org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:23:05 -0500

Dan Margolis wrote:

With all the potential fame, fortune, and glory to
be gained from publicly breaking RSA, I find it hard to imagin that
someone would have done so and kept it secret--and that nobody else
would also have done so.

This is starting to get off topic, I guess, but I think there's far
MORE value to breaking RSA and keeping it secret.  If you were an
intelligence agency or (unscrupulous) private entrepreneur who broke
RSA, would you tell everyone, thereby ensuring that the algorithm dies,
or keep it a secret, ensuring that you continue to have plenty of
encrypted messages to read?

        David