Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2003 SBS for web server?

From: Jonathan Glass <jonathan.glass () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:47:34 -0500

Do you really want to expose a Windows/IIS server to the Internet?
Are you planning on storing any sensitive data on it?  If you really
want to use IIS, I'd strongly recommend that you (a) put it in a DMZ,
(b) run ONLY IIS on that box, (c) rename the administrator account,
and use that account/passwd combo on THAT box ONLY, (d) use the ODBC
logging feature of IIS to log your IIS accesses & errors to a database
server (you can run MySQL for free on an internal host, and install
the MySQL ODBC drivers on the IIS box).

If you don't have to run Active Server Pages (or any other dynamic
content), consider a minimal installation of any Linux distro running
the TUX web server.  Much faster and easier to secure than IIS or
Linux + Apache.  If you DO need ASP, stick to IIS.  If you can use
PHP/JSP/Perl/CGIs, then consider Linux + Apache.

Thanks & HTH

Jonathan Glass