Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why can't Firefox and Thunderbird find their own updates?

From: Jeff Davis <jeff () dynamictelecard com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:44:39 -0600

Roger A. Grimes wrote:
Why can't Firefox and Thunderbird find their own updates?
I know Firefox can because it works for me.
I can't speak to this because I always do a manual thunderbird update.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...you know...expecting the Check for
Updates feature to work when I click on it. So, open source is supposed
to kick Microsoft's butt and offer me a secure alternative when the
simple click update features don't even work.
Bashing all open source because you are having a problem with
something isn't a very good way of getting help.  It will probably
get you ignored.

Filling out a bug report (with specifics regarding your OS, etc.
http://www.mozilla.com/support/ ) would be a more appropriate
way to getting your problem resolved.
If you can write code, you could do a CVS checkout, fix the
problem and check it back in.

Either way I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish by posting
this complaint to a security mailing list.

I think I've already complained here before, but I would have thought
this problem would have been fixed in the intervening six months.
See above.

-Jeff

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfoc_ml