Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what to do?

From: "AragonX" <aragonx () dcsnow com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

<quote who="Jayson Anderson">
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 00:30 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:
Hi Guys,

I noticed that someone is trying to hacker into my
machine. Please see below is the content of
/var/log/security.
what I would like some advice of you guys is, what
will I do with these people?
btw, I do have FW

Do you need to be able to access your machine remotely through ssh?

   If no then disable.

Do others need to be able to access your machine remotely through ssh?

   If no then 'AllowUsers = <enter your user name>' in sshd_config

Do you have a limited number of domains you logon from?

   If yes then '$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -i $EXTIF -s yourdomain.com
--dport 22 -j ACCEPT' in your firewall rules.  Need a default deny
policy.

Finally I also suggest:

   ListenAddress <anything other than 22>
   PermitRootLogin no

This of course assumes that you are using a newer version of Linux.