Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ad-aware installs spyware

From: "Greg" <security-basics () pchandyman com au>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:57:12 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Fetherston" <mike_sha () shaw ca>
To: "'Joe George'" <j.george () conservation org>; "Mike" <admin () superiorholidayadventures ca>; "'Leon'" <roastin ()
yahoo com>; <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 10:20 PM
Subject: RE: Ad-aware installs spyware

Just answering the original subject as I missed the original letter here.

Where DOES this rubbish come from? Well, I can tell you. There are various spy adding programs similarly named to
Adaware and Spybot and the trouble here is that if you don't find out the right info, download from the right source
etc, you can get caned.

How do I know this? I know it because I am constantly cleaning up relatives' machines after "a friend who knows a lot
about computers" spent the time "fixing" them.

Be aware of what it is you have downloaded and from where.

Greg.