Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VoIP security

From: Mihai Amarandei <mihaixmco1 () yahoo fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:29:26 +0200

I've been doing some research on VoIP Security. The encryption is optional in VoIP, so your ISP should be able to tell you if they encrypt VoIP conversations, and especially where. Tipically I think the encryption is at the router level (so not directly in the telephone), but it might be that your ISP is encrypting directly at their servers. The IPSec(VPN) solution is not very used in my knowledge because it adds much overhead to this time critical service. The protocols specific to VoIP define several ways of encrypting information and preserving confidentiality so technically your friend might be safe. You shoud however ask your ISP about their encryption (I'm quite interested myslef in the policiy of ISPs regarding VoIP).
And btw, please excusee my poor english
Mihai

Joshua Berry wrote:

There are programs out there capable of replaying VoIP sessions:

Vomit:
http://vomit.xtdnet.nl/
The vomit utility converts a Cisco IP phone conversation into a wave
file that can be played with ordinary sound players. Vomit requires a
tcpdump output file. Vomit is not a VoIP sniffer also it could be but
the naming is probably related to H.323.

I haven't found any others but it is definitely possible.  VoIP travels
over IP and therefore can be encrypted through IPSec tunnels or other
means but I doubt most ISP's are doing that right now.