Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hacked

From: "Conlan Adams" <conlan () midwesteyebanks org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:32:25 -0400

First take an image of the machine using ghost or a similar tool.
Second, take the machine off your network.
Third, format and reinstall the machine, apply all updates.
Forth, restore data from a backup.

At this point there is no telling what all they put on the machine, they could have it strewn with backdoors and
trojans.

Once that much has been done, try to figure out how they got in using the image you took, or by seeing what might not
have been updated.

Run the IIS lockdown tool, Baseline Security Analyzer, and other security tools to make sure your install is tight.

But first you really need to get that thing off your network.

Conlan Adams