Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: EC-Council certs

From: deepak nandyala <ndpak () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:25:51 -0700 (PDT)

hi , anybody, knows about SCP exams..one of the best
exams...may be better than CEH

www.SecurityCertified.Net,

 pl tell me if you liked it..

dk
--- "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com> wrote:
I've got a bunch of security certs (Sec+, CISSP,
TICSA, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:
Security, etc.) and I thoroughly enjoyed the CEH
exam and its material.

Here's my 1/2 cent on the CEH exam:
It's a good overall test, with less errors than many
of the tests
(although it did have a higher than normal rate of
typos), and it is a
nice cross selection of questions and subject matter
material about
hacking and defense. The exam is over a 100
questions, many of them
moderately technical, so it is a good test. It even
had a few Snort or
Libcap captures and asked you to tell what type of
attack was going on
(i.e. Buffer overflow vs. SQL injection) and those
particular questions
weren't blatantly easy.

Basically, the CISSP exam is the only security exam
with an extreme
amount of "industry weight" in that it is probably
the best credential
for helping you get a job.  The GIAC is probably the
best at teaching
you a particular subject and is the most practical.
The CEH is a good
exam, but I'm not sure how much job or hiring
influence it has.  If more
people studied or took it, I think it would gain
more respect in the
industry.

The CISSP can really help get your foot in the door,
but the GIAC is
going to teach you more.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security,
Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE
(3/4), CEH, CHFI
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection
for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281

****