Security Basics mailing list archives

Conference Wireless

From: Ben Blakely <blakely () krellinst org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:00:18 -0500

Hello List,
We are looking for a solution that will allow us to deploy a wireless network at a conference with as little equipment and configuration as necessary, but require a username/password to get on the network (captive portal). We're not worried about encryption so much as ease-of-use. We want attendees to be able to sit down, connect to the network, type in a username and password that they've been provided and be good to go. Ideally this would all be self contained in the AP. I've looked at m0n0wall and other linux based routing software and know that it could be done that way fairly easily. However as all of the equipment for this conference needs to be shipped cross-country we'd like to avoid a second machine (in addition to the AP) if possible.

Has anyone set up something like this before? I've looked a bit at the Cisco Aironet 1100 AP's which seem to be quite nice, but require configuration on the client side beyond what we want to get into. Does anyone know of any AP's that meet the above requirements?

Thanks in advance for your help!
/bab

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security professionals. Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in Information Security offered online. Recognized by the NSA as an academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en