Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Conference Wireless

From: David Glosser <david_glosser () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:54:15 -0400

I believe Netopia has one but the pre-printed userid cards can get expensive.

There are several "hotspot in a box" solutions which may work (try google). Some connect to a printer off the serial port to generate tickets. With others, you'll have to generate and maintain user lists.

You can generate userids and passwords with a sonicwall TZ170(w?) and
export them to a spreadsheet.

I ended up going with a DLink authentication server along with their AP. It's a total of 3 devices (the Dlink authentication server, the printer, and the AP). We needed to keep the printer and the AP in different locations, so a single unit didn't work for us.

Other things to consider:
   * should each logon be unique or can people share accounts?
* do you need a "walled garden" where some web sites (local news, traffic, etc) are free? * give the lawyers a workout. Make sure the logon page has a link to all sorts of disclaimers and legalese.... wireless is a shared medium and inherently insecure, you should have a personal firewall and current antivirus software, you should use encryption, passwords can be sniffed, you can get scanned and probed from others, you can get infected with viruses just by connecting to a wireless network, yada yada yada. There are plenty of disclaimers out there on the internet to use as a reference.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Blakely" <blakely () krellinst org>