Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PortFast Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:35:59 -0700

  That is neither how autonegotiate works, nor is it what
PortFast does.

  Autonegotiate can be broken into two subsections:  speed
and duplex.  100Mbps includes a kind of "carrier" signal that
is absent from 10Mbps, so a device set to autonegotiate speed
will, when the link comes up, transmit that carrier for a few
seconds and see if it receives it from the other end.  If each
sees the carrier, they'll stay at 100; if either does not, it
will drop back to 10 (which means it stops sending the carrier,
and so the other end drops back as well).
  Autonegotiate of duplex is much more difficult; each side
needs to transmit and determine if a collision occurs (and, if
so, alter its transmission to appear to be a collision so the
other end can see it).  Full duplex is available if there is no
detected collision, and so collision detection can be turned off.
  Unfortunately, different vendors read the specifications slightly
differently, and so autonegotiation may not correctly settle on
full duplex even in cases where it would work.  And some vendors
do not fully turn off autonegotiation when configured to a static
setting, so *occasionally* one finds systems which can autonegotiate
a working full-duplex connection, but which throttle down to a
trickle when statically configured.  While one would generally
prefer static configuration, it's not guaranteed to be the best
choice in every instance.

  Bridges/switches maintain a topology by exchanging and distributing
BPDU frames.  Once the exchange of these packets has led to election
of some device as the root bridge, the Spanning Tree algorithm (and
additional BPDUs as necessary) is used to identify switch-to-switch
links and to shut down redundant links to avoid loops in the topology.
This state is then maintained by periodic BPDUs from the root.  When
a switch acquires a new link to another switch, or fails to receive
a scheduled BPDU from the root, the process is repeated to rebuild the
topology.
  This process can easily take 30 seconds or more, during which no
traffic can safely be delivered -- which can be a really long time in
the case of some network applications.  So Cisco offers several options
to speed up reconvergence.
  PortFast is one of these options.  It's a way for an admin to tell
the switch that specified ports are used by individual hosts and so
there's no need to listen for BPDUs arriving on those ports; they can
transition back to normal data operations almost immediately when a
topology reconvergence occurs.  There are similar options (with
slightly different implications) for inter-switch link ports, depending
on whether they are or are not expected to become this switch's link
towards the root device.

  My hunch is that in the case under discussion, the third-party device
is putting out something that looks a bit like a BPDU.  With portfast
BPDUguard, this bogus noise gets dropped.  Without it, the port transitions
to a spanning-tree state where it's ignoring everything except real BPDUs --
and there aren't any.

David Gillett