Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PortFast Question

From: "Scherer, Brian" <BScherer () dialamerica com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:28:27 -0400

STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) is enabled by default on VLAN 1 and on all
newly created.  While STP goes through its four steps
(blocking,listening,learning,forwarding) which can take between 30-50
seconds no user data will pass and some applications may time out.  By
enabling portfast you are forcing the switchport into forwarding mode
immediately.  The port still participates in STP in the event that if
the port is to be a part of the loop, it will eventually transition into
STP blocking mode.

In regards to security, as long as the port is participating in STP,
there is a possibility that some device attached to that port and also
running STP with lower bridge priority than that of the current root
bridge, will assume the root bridge function and affect active STP
topology, thus rendering the network suboptimal. Permanent STP
recalculation caused by the temporary introduction and subsequent
removal of STP devices with low (zero) bridge priority represent a
simple form of Denial of Service (DoS) attack on the network.

The STP portfast BPDU guard enhancement is designed to allow network
designers to enforce the STP domain borders and keep the active topology
predictable. The devices behind the ports with STP portfast enabled are
not allowed to influence the STP topology. This is achieved by disabling
the port with portfast configured upon reception of BPDU. The port is
transitioned into errdisable state, and a message is printed on the
console. The following is an example of the message printed out as a
result of BPDU guard operation:

2000 May 12 15:13:32 %SPANTREE-2-RX_PORTFAST:Received BPDU on PortFast
enable port.
Disabling 2/1
2000 May 12 15:13:32 %PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port 2/1 left bridge port 2/1