Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Semi-Public Wireless Access Setu....

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:43:15 -0500

Awesome write-up Paul. Very complete with excellent ideas. =)

Chad, I had just a few things to add... clarification more then
anything else. You asked about how do coffee houses and airports do
it... they use what's called a "Captive Portal". There are a bunch of
options out there (both free/open source and commercial). You can see
a listing of many of them here:
 - http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/PortalSoftware

Basically, a portal (as you likely know) is a website/service that
offers access to a collection of resources and other services. (Like
Yahoo is a web portal.) A captive portal is the same thing, but it's a
portal in which users are first "caught" and restricted in what they
can do. The restriction can be anything capable from the software
(from a login screen to a unrestricted portal).

I won't go into immense details on list, as you may decide not to even
go with any specific software package. The most popular of the
freebies is called "NoCatAuth". It's a Linux based solution. There are
many others to choose from, though NoCatAuth is certainly the most
popular and most widely used captive portal for amatuer "HotSpots" and
such. Check out the link above (and Google) for additional
information.

Feel free to email me directly if you have other specific questions
and I'll do my best to help. =) Of course you can feel free to email
to the list instead and hopefully get different perspectives and ideas
too.

--
Peace. ~G