Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spoofing an IP over the internet

From: Simon <simon () xhz ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:00:47 -0500

  One variety of DoS attack is resource starvation.  One resource
that is easy to consume remotely is bandwidth.

Not all DoS attacks consume significant bandwidth. In fact, consuming CPU time is another popular form of resource-starvation DoS attack. On the other hand, causing a server to endlessly reboot, over and over, makes its services unavailable while not
significantly consuming any resources at all.

So I must make sure that the script, if it finds a DoS attack should not consume resources. And the only resource that will be consumed are incoming packets.

The rest has more to do with system administration, firewalls and stuff not exactly with my script.

Thanks a lot!
  Simon