Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spoofing an IP over the internet

From: Steven Trewick <STrewick () joplings co uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:21:57 -0000

From: Simon [mailto:simon () xhz ca]

Yes, but the problem that I fear is a hacker changing his IP address
automatically for each TCP/IP packets sents without the need of
disconnecting/reconnecting.

It would be extremely difficult (impossible?) to conduct a TCP
handshake if you use a different IP address for each packet, and
the same goes for transfer of data via TCP to/from standard
services. (IMHO)

UDP is obvioulsy a different beast altogether, (and despite what
others have said about the impossibility of spoofing accross the
internet, it is not impossible, merely becoming more difficult)
and I regularly see quite obviously spoofed UDP packets arriving
at my network border. (The torrent of messenger spam being a good
example of this)

Also if the IP could be spoofed, it would be difficult to  find where
the attack is comming from

That is, of course, the whole point of IP spoofing ;-)

or we would need other means of understanding  where the attack
is comming from.

Here are some resources you may find interesting, if not to
helpful ;-)

Following the Journey of a Spoofed Packet
http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~dlwhyte/whytepapers/ipspoof.htm

Tracking Spoofed IP Addresses Version 2.0
http://www.cymru.com/Documents/tracking-spoofed.html

Despoof is a free, open source tool that measures the TTL
to determine if a packet has been spoofed or not.
http://www.bindview.com/Support/RAZOR/Utilities/Unix_Linux/despoof_readme.cf

Hope these help a bit

Steve Trewick

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged, it is intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this e-mail in error please delete it from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in
this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. Whilst Joplings Group
operates an e-mail anti-virus program it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being passed.
joplings.co.uk