Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: USB Security

From: "D. Weiss" <David () cawdgw net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:33:29 +0100

I've been atoying with this idea a bit now, but haven't had a chance to
really look into and stress test it: A GPO that makes all removable drives
EFS encrypted.

Aye, 'tis true EFS can be broken, but many'd not even understand the issue.
All they'da be thinking is their USB backup files only work at work, which
what they'd be awantin' anyways, do you think? Yer thieves and rabble and
whatnot have robbed yeh blind already methinks. If it's the takin of
proprietary information they be awantin to do, I'll surely bet like on
Dilbert; twer emailed home long ago.

If yer just worried about a pesky sneaker netted virii comin under the scope
and awreaking havoc, I'd think if they can use the USB after bein EFS'd at
home, they'd abeing smart enough to AV they things anyways, don't yeh know?

Iffen any of you have been having the time to try a thing like that GPO and
got her to work, I'd be so obliged to hearing hows yeh did it, I'd drop the
corny Irish accent.

:-)

D. Weiss