Security Basics mailing list archives

securing an FTP service

From: Davide <ak_71 () libero it>
Date: 22 Nov 2004 23:11:56 -0000

Hi everybody. would you please give me some hints for the followin situation?
In a win-based network, a folder contains some documents
that have to be made available to company employees when
they are not in the HQ but they are in a local branch office
this is currently implemented by a FTP server (win 2kserver); the ftproot is the root dir of the documents.
the server is connected to internet:

(internet)---(router)---(firewall)---(LAN)---(server)

employees access from a remote location office using their win logon credentials (no anonym access is provided). The
local branch office acceses internet with a dinamic IP provided by ISP. What security concerns are rised in this
setting? Should I use a DMZ, using the server to provide FTP services and moving the ftproot folder to another server
INSIDE the DMZ (linked to a shared folder)?
How can I overcome the problem that FTP passwords are transmitted not enchrypted? Should a VPN between HQ provide the
panacea for these problems?

thanks in advance
davide