Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing an FTP service

From: Alessandro Bottonelli <a.bottonelli () axis-net it>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:26:17 +0100

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 00:11, Davide wrote:

(internet)---(router)---(firewall)---(LAN)---(server)

the LAN is NATted? If so, you'll need to set Port Address
Translation on the firewall/nat.

employees access from a remote location office using their win
logon credentials (no anonym access is provided). The local
branch office acceses internet with a dinamic IP provided by
ISP. What security concerns are rised in this setting?

First, you don't know your branch offices IP address in advance,
so you cannot filter traffic based on source IP address.

Should
I use a DMZ, using the server to provide FTP services and
moving the ftproot folder to another server INSIDE the DMZ
(linked to a shared folder)?

I personally see this solution as being bad... You are moving
company's data in the DMZ, not a good idea in principle...

How can I overcome the problem
that FTP passwords are transmitted not enchrypted? Should a
VPN between HQ provide the panacea for these problems?

VPN is a solution, maybe FTP over SSL is another (but I am not
familiar with Microsoft to point you to a specific product, any
takers?).

Cheers

--
Alessandro Bottonelli, CISSP & BS7799 Lead Auditor
AXIS-NET Privacy & InfoSec Consulting