Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: help with forensics on a desktop computer

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:04:32 -0500

Yes,

It is called the Security Event Log, and it is built into the OS. It will
tell you how, who and from where somebody logged in.

Look for EventID 528; 538; 540; 551; 552

Login types:
'2=Interactive'
'3=Network'
'4=Batch'
'5=Service'
'6=Proxy'
'7=Unlock'
'8=NetworkCleartext'
'9=NewCredentials'
'10=RemoteInteractive'
'11=CachedInteractive'
'13=CachedRemoteInteractive'
'14=CachedUnlock'

For instance you would see 528 and a type 10 for a terminal service logon.

But, you have to turn on the Security Auditing in your Local Security
Policy: Local Policy: Audit Policy: Turn on Success and Failure for those
things you want to audit.

Dave Kleiman, CISSP, CISM, CIFI, MCSE
www.SecurityBreachResponse.com