Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SQL stored procedures encryption strength

From: John Kennison <mailing_lists () optusnet com au>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:31:36 +1030

Bénoni MARTIN wrote:
Hi list !

I was wondering how secure is the encryption used for stored procedures in SQL Server 2000. I mean, when I create a
procedure like this:

But no way to find in SQL docs which algorithm is used, and if there are ways to breack it down ...

The following link: http://www.securiteam.com/windowsntfocus/6Q00H2A3FY.html

Outlines that the encryption process is already cracked and not very secure to begin with and there a several utilities out there already which can unencrypted the data into plaintext.

Hope that this helps, still useful as very basic deterant (particularly from endusers), but not something I would depend upon.

Regards,

John Kennison