Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NMAP Scan of My Company's Internal Network: 666,880 IP addresses in 49 hours

From: cgkanchi <cgkanchi.seclist () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:27:29 +0530

What's the point of running the scan against just the 270
ports/services? It might speed it up, but if you get a trojan
infection on one of the computers, it'd be pretty much useless since
the trojan would probably run on a higher (probably random) port.It's
ok if you just want to confirm that your users aren't running any
standard servers that they shouldn't be, but it's no substitute for a
real, in depth scan and shouldn't give you a false sense of security.
Personally, I'd rather run a scan of all TCP ports once a month or
once in two months than a restricted scan once a week.

Cheers,
cgkanchi