Security Basics mailing list archives

NMAP Scan of My Company's Internal Network: 666,880 IP addresses in 49 hours

From: "Mogren, Jack L." <mogren () mayo edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:35:26 -0600

  I just wanted to let the list know my NMAP scanning results for my company's large privately owned internal network.
I scanned 10 class B ranges and several class Cs in our internal network.

As part of a plan to perform internal network inventories or my company's network, I scanned 666,880 IP addresses and
found 66,558 active addresses.  The scan took 49 hours and was performed from a Compaq DL380 running Redhat Linux 8.0.
This is the NMAP options I used:

nmap -O -T5 -PE --osscan_limit -F -v --max_rtt_timeout 100 --max_parallelism 100 --min_hostgroup 96 -oX
/home/security/all_ip.xml -iL /home/security/ip_addresses.txt

I also customized nmap-services file to only include 270 services.  We plan to perform this scan on a weekly basis.
Thanks to all who gave me ideas.

Jack Mogren
Mayo Clinic
Foundation Information Security Office