Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Information on Bandwidth Issues

From: "Kurt" <kurtbuff () spro net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:25:58 -0800

1) identify your subnets

2) isolate your firewall/router/wan link on a separate subnet - no other
machines on it

3) bring up ntop on a machine, and put it on the mirrored ports. That
should help characterize what protocols are being (ab)used. Also put
ntop in the subnet that contains your firewall/router/wan link, either
by mirroring the port on which it resides, or by inserting a true dumb
hub to be shared by the ntop machine and firewall/router/wan link.

4) also put up a TCP recorder (tcpdump, ethereal, sniffer, etc.) on your
switches (mirroring where necessary), if necessary, and get granular in
your analysis.

5) rule out a packet storm because of a bad NIC somewhere with 3)and 4)
above, otherwise identify your top talkers, and see if you can put them
on the same subnet, or do other things to reduce traffic.