Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Removing Local Admin Rights...

From: "Daszczyszak, Roman L. SPC (1AD 501 MI BN ACE IMO)" <roman.daszczyszak () 1ADTACM 1AD ARMY MIL>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:42:16 +0400

If you're referring to removing a user from the local Administrators group,
by all means go for it.  Check out the software suite they're using (or are
supposed to be using) and make sure each program will run in a regular user
account.  Most will unless badly written or requiring some special support.

When I took over my current sysadmin job, the first thing I did was to clean
up after the prior admin who allowed everyone to have admin rights on their
machines.  There were some growing pains, but for the most part it works.
For those special cases where the user believes they need admin rights, I
have them submit the request in writing.. then I check to see if their
request is valid.  Only then will I authorize local admin rights.