Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Removing Local Admin Rights...

From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar () plexus com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:52:43 -0500

On May 25, 2004, at 2:42 PM, Tom Stowell wrote:

We're a bit smaller -- 1,000 desktops running Win2k.  We instituted a
policy like yours about two years ago.  We run into problems with
USB devices, and need to install but other than that our experience
has been positive.  Since we instituted the policy, support requests
are down about 35%.

Which isn't to say the two data points aren't related, but beware statistics. A long time ago my company implemented a new financial application - written entirely in-house.

Horrible, buggy application. The killer was the ability to upload/download data from a PC to the mainframe. That failed very often, requiring a complete system restart of the PC (DOS and Win 3.1) and multiple downloads to get the data.

At the annual meeting the director of the team proudly announced that the support calls to their special hot-line regarding that application had declined over 90% since a hot-fix some months previous. And indeed they had, since the users (one or two per department) had given up calling since the only fix was to restart the PC and resume the download and they _knew_ that without calling.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html