Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WLAN Security, Authentication, and more...

From: "Josh Mills" <JMills () cnbwaco com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:47:08 -0500

Im not an expert on wireless security but i will attempt to answer a few of the questions,

2.  How have you detered users from using their
laptops at the local coffee shop?  Policies and
procedures are a start, but are any system level
controls in place to only allow connections to the
corporate environment?  I would be concered an
employee may have information traveling in the air on
an open network (or have their machines comprimized
while drinking some latte).

I tried many ways to deter this activity but never could convince people not to do it, instead i decided to just allow
it but to take every precation to make sure they were secure. First I hardened all of the laptops as much as possible,
then I had all the users implement pgp and encrypt all of their personal documents. As far as information traveling in
the air, just make sure that everything they do is through a vpn and you should be safe.

3.  Rogue Wireless Detection - I have done much
reading on this subject and would like to know how you
all tackle this issue.  Some suggest cool toys like
AirDefense, etc.  Others suggest some sort of MAC
monitoring on switches/routers.  I am a fan of walking
around with Kismet every few weeks.  The major issue I
have encountered with walking around is the problem of
neighboring buildings (in a downtown environment).
It's easy enough to find the APs you know about, but
finding a rogue AP connected to your network becomes a
challenge with all of the other APs popping up.  The
only way I have found around this is to take a best
guess based on signal/noise strength and go from
there.  Any thoughts/suggestions on what you have read
or deployed?

There is a product that will scan your network and keep a list of all MAC address and any time there is a new one added
it will let you know about it via email, im not sure of the name but im sure someone will know. Other than this you
could implement port security on all ports to only allow one MAC address or even a specific mac.