Security Basics mailing list archives

Internal POP3 users

From: Christopher Herrmann <CHerrmann () oddfellows com au>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:01:28 +1100

Hi,

I have a number of users sharing our Internet connection who do not
authenticate to my NT network (they are to all intents and purposes,
different companies in the same building). However they all use the same
DHCP service (from my NT server).  This is a major security concern. What
are some of the ways I might separate the traffic generated on their
machines from my main network?
I understand segmentation is one option, but how do I distinguish between
those machines? Should I move the DHCP to the router for instance?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Christopher Herrmann
IT Manager

   This message has been scanned for spam & viruses by Mail Sleuth.
   To report SPAM forward the message to:    spam () mailsleuth com au
   Mail Sleuth                                www.mailsleuth.com.au

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301