Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internal POP3 users

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:35:16 +0530

Hi,

I have a number of users sharing our Internet connection who do not
authenticate to my NT network (they are to all intents and purposes,
different companies in the same building). However they all
use the same
DHCP service (from my NT server).  This is a major security
concern. What
are some of the ways I might separate the traffic generated on their
machines from my main network?

first things first : what is your security concern ? if they all share the same dhcp server then you could eaisily
define scopes that will allow you to indentify the different hosts from the net.

for example you could do something like

compony1 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
compony2 10.0.1.1/255.255.255.0
compony3 10.0.2.1/255.255.255.0

that way all the hosts are on differnet subnets and they are more managable.

if you want to physically seperate the traffic from one another then the best solution would be seperate wires for all
of them

Should I move the DHCP to the router for instance?

dhcp on a external interface would allow people from the net to get a trusted address for your network greatly reducing
the security of your internal lan

-aditya

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html