Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption on Laptops?

From: "Simon and Sara Zuckerbraun" <szucker () rcn com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:52:43 -0600

EFS is not broken. (It's not a panacea either.)

I took a look at the info on FTK
(http://www.frontiersolutions.biz/accessdataftk.htm). What this seems to be
is a tool for scanning a hard drive for clues to a user's password, etc.
This could be useful towards the end goal of decrypting files, but it can't
just "break through" EFS encryption.

I googled on EFS and accessdata FTK and found a very nicely written paper,
"Practical Approaches to Recovering Encrypted Digital Evidence"
http://www.ijde.org/docs/02_fall_art4.pdf. It describes the techniques that
an investigator might use when attempting to obtain evidence from encrypted
files. The author is clearly aware of FTK, since he mentions it in the
paper; what he says about FTK is that it can be used to seek out keywords
present on a user's disks that may be useful in guessing a password or
passphrase. Nevertheless the author considers EFS to be a formidable
obstacle to accessing data, even if the investigator tries using FTK.

Simon