Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FW: Legal? Road Runner proactive scanning.[Scanned]

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:35:51 -0800

I don't think that is quite an accurate analogy either. The difference
is that you are only using one phone line, or "port" to call the hotel.

A better analogy would be if hotels had a standard set of extension
lines that were tied to specific services that a hotel could offer.

I love it when discussions like these degrade down to 'my analogy is
better'. Ok, everyone wins, mine suck, now on to the debate at hand.

When a scanner does OS detection or similar operations, more than just
listening for the line to be answered is needed. It would wait for
"Hello, Room Service" or something like that before disconnecting, and
make its decision on what cuisine was offered by how the phone was
answered.

Your overreaching, portscanners just check for open ports, they don't
care about the OS, or even what server is running on the backend. For
that you use a discovery application. Now, before anyone tries to lart
me, the majority of scanners out there now-a-days can pull some info
from the server or protocol stack to try and figure out what the host
is and what the service on that port is, but that's past the discussion
because that is a value add to the portscanner, not the portscanner
itself.

A port scan has to communicate with the port in at least a limited way.

It has to at least receive a response to its probe in order for it to
know the port is open, which satisfies a limited level of two-way
communication.

Right-A-Mundo-My-Main-Macho-Main! But that doesn't mean it's
communicating
with the service, process or thread that the port is tied to. Basically
it's just communicating with the host systems TCP/IP stack.

To me, port scanning has to be legal. It is too difficult to make it
illegal
because things get too messy. If you required the machine owner's
permission
to scan you start cutting of legitimate uses such as a program that may
offer
you different ways of connecting to a machine you have legitimate
access to
(it can check to see if you can connect via ssh, telnet, sftp, terminal

services, etc..). It is a fine line between a program determining
connection
options and a malicious port scan.

The second you get regulators or authorities involved things get
complicated.
I believe in the whole 'better judgment' approach to port scanning and
service/
host discovery. Basically, if you system interacted with my network
first I
reserve the right to check out your system. Reason for this
'way-of-thinking'
are that if I'm getting traffic from your system, and it's attacking my
IIS
server, I'll portscan, traceroute, ping and run some discovery on your
system
then decided if I want to talk to your ISP, you or the authorities in
your area.
Past that I'm not going to go 'lookin' for you.

This whole thread gave me nostalgia about a similar thread on wardialing
on a
old BBS I used to frequent. The good ole' days, *sigh*.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107