Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: passwords in asp pages

From: "Miller, Joe" <joe.miller () us mizuho-sc com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:07:31 -0500

You didn't specify the details about version, but here is a solution
that might work well for you. You can create a COM class that handles
all database related calls. For instance, the class can hand out ADO
connections based off of some criteria. The asp pages will no nothing
about the specifics of the connection other than the type (ie. by type I
mean it knows to connect to DB XYZ on SQL Server). All the specifics
about the connection (server, db, user, password) are managed by the the
COM DLL.

You can now do:

<% Set oDBClassFactory = CreateObject("MyDBExpert.ClassFactory")
   Set oADOConn = oDBClassFactory.getConnection(enumWhichDB) %>

The details about the connection are now abstracted behind the Class
Factory interface. In general, sprinkling connection specific properties
about your asp (or any client code), is not recommended. It is much
better to delegate this responsibility to a connection expert class.
This is not only better in terms of security, but improves the overall
maintenance of the system (ie. only need to manage connections in one
place).

Hope this helps.