Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: passwords in asp pages

From: "patrick" <patrick () curioustechnology com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:17:58 -0800

Ian,

You are right to be concerned.  This technique is not considered a "best
practice" for web applications.  They should be leveraging active directory
and using integrated security for connecting to the database- this will
remove cleartext passwords from the files.  It also allows for the
flexibility to actually utilize the credentials of the visitor if they're
using the application within a credentialed intranet.

Check out the keywords "Integrated Security or Trusted_Connection" and
"ConnectionString" with relation to ADO.net.

As far as a demonstrated exploit, you only need to find some way of getting
access to the machine's files directly.  You might investigate if the
machine is vulnerable to the ASP::$DATA Vulnerability, where you could just
grab the raw asp source from the server.  This exploit looked like the
following:

http://[serverName]/[webpage.asp]::$DATA

http://192.168.0.1/index.asp::$DATA

That's just off the top of my head... any way that you can get direct access
to those files will demonstrate it (unsecured ftp... canonical attacks...
etc).  Hey, anyone with access to the server suddenly can see passwords for
accounts that are not theirs... that alone is easy enough to demo.