Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help Needed

From: harry <Rik.Bobbaers () cc kuleuven ac be>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:40:00 +0100

John Kingston wrote:
From Windows 2000:

Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
            [-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]
            [-w timeout] destination-list

    -t             Ping the specified host until stopped.
                   To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;
                   To stop - type Control-C.
    -a             Resolve addresses to hostnames.
    -n count       Number of echo requests to send.
    -l size        Send buffer size.
    -f             Set Don't Fragment flag in packet.
    -i TTL         Time To Live.
    -v TOS         Type Of Service.
    -r count       Record route for count hops.
    -s count       Timestamp for count hops.
    -j host-list   Loose source route along host-list.
    -k host-list   Strict source route along host-list.
    -w timeout     Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.

So:
ping -l 65000 IPADDRESS will ping that IPADDRESS with 65000 bytes of data.

not always... there mostly are limitations in clients that limit icmp packets to 16 bits (65535)... but there are other implementations of ping which allow bigger packets, suitable for a ping of death...

(please, i'm new here... correct me if i'm wrong or do something wrong)

greetings

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers

K.U.Leuven - LUDIT             -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
Rik.Bobbaers () cc kuleuven ac be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org

"Work hard and do your best, it'll make it easier for the rest"
-- Garfield

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html