Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Ethereal

From: "Tace " <tace () lycos com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:02:11 +0700

Hi,
   Do you mean something like Netstumbler? Ethereal can capture wireless traffic so long as you specify the interface
to be your wireless card. However, Ethereal will not be able to capture low level details like the management frames of
802.11 nor beacon frames... only programs like NetStumbler and others, by putting the wireless card into monitor mode,
can capture those traffic. (of course, I have heard of people setting the card to monitor mode prior to using Ethereal
to capture, under Linux)
   Otherwise, Ethereal works similarly regardless whether the interface is wired or wireless.

Tace