Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Ethereal

From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:36:26 -0500

Has anyone used Ethereal to capture wireless traffic, and if so, can you
point me to any resources documenting wireless Ethereal usage? I've downloaded the 10.2 Windows distribution and the documentation, and
am planning to read, install, and experiment while I await replies.

I've never done it under windows, not my platform... but I've done it using the wlan-ng drivers under linux, putting the card into monitor mode using one of the kismet (http://www.kismetwireless.net) utilities (kismet_monitor I think) and then selecting the appropriate interface from inside ethereal. I've only used Prism2 based cards for the last couple years, but it should be much the same for others as well.

All in all it's worked *marvelously*. Of course, if you're sniffing WEP, you'll get encrypted packets unless you have the key. But seeing as 80% of the 1000 or so 802.11 hits I've found driving around town have no WEP whatsoever, it shouldn't be much of a problem... and even then airsnort (http://airsnort.shmoo.com) will help you with some of the WEP ones ;)

I imagine there is a windows equivalent seeing as netstumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com) has to put the card into promiscuous mode (better to use the NDIS 5 drivers if I remember correctly). Whether the windows flavour of ethereal can run in capture mode with netstumbler running at the same time I'm not sure but just give 'er and see what happens. If not, perhaps there are other appropriate low level utils for manipulating the card settings.

I would really recommend that you setup a small linux partition somehow, the wireless/wardriving utils are really top notch. http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us is a page that some awesome dude(s) put together that drop in the right versions of the drivers that are patched to give you full control and monitor mode over the card. I used RedHat 7.3 and some older RPMs as I built up the laptop a while ago, but looking at the page it appears that there are now RedHat 9 RPMs. After dropping 'em in it's a piece of cake to compile and install kismet, ethereal, airsnort, etc.

I use to use a DWL-650 (the old ones, not the new ones; the new ones use a different chipset) but now I use a Senao NL-2511CD Plus EXT; rather nice as it has 200mW output and -95 dbm sensitivity (thought thats at 1 Mbps; it goes to -87 dbm for 11 Mbps) http://www.netgate.com/NL2511.html

Regards,
Byron Sonne

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html