Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: restricting telnet via username

From: Justin_Andrusk () Progressive com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:19:55 -0500

By telnet, do you mean 'ssh'?
Thanks,

Justin Andrusk
Information Security
Phone: (440) 395-0630

                      Gregory Dunlap

                      <gtdunlap@midsou         To:      security-basics <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                      th.rr.com>               cc:

                                               Subject: restricting telnet via username

                      02/27/2004 11:55

                      PM

Hello all,
  I'm attempting to restrict a telnet session of a group of users who
need to run one application on a server.  They login via telnet and that
is the only option at the moment.  They need to run a shell script and
then that will launch the app.  I've set the shell for these users to
the shell script so they won't have access to anything but this app.  I
would like to restrict the telnet daemon further to allow only certain
user names so they can't do a brute force attack.  In sshd_config I've
aways used allowd users setting but I don't see that in the hpux telnet
config.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301