Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: restricting telnet via username

From: Gregory Dunlap <gtdunlap () midsouth rr com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:27:40 -0600

The server is the standard telnet server that comes with HPUX, the only
config I've found is in inet.d so far and that just turns it off and on
for boot.  The client is a firm ware level OS on a scan gun by
Intermic.  This is not SSH, the OS on the scan gun is quite limited and
can not run an ssh client.  If I was using ssh it would be ideal since
the AllowUser option is there.  But I'm stuck with telnet.  Any help on
how to limit the telnet daemon to a list of users or only have the
telnet server spawn off a process (the users are login in to run a app
on the server, no other shell access is needed).

Any help is appreciated,
Greg