Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:10:56 -0800

Bob checks the signature by using the public key and
it is valid.

  If you're saying that Bob checks it using ALICE's public key,
then what this tells Bob is that the person who signed the message
had Alice's PRIVATE key.  i.e., It really did come from Alice.
  Bob should not accept a new public key for Alice without some
assurance that it really did come from her.  Unless the reason for
the new one is that her old private key has been compromised,
signing the update with her old private key could be sufficient.
  A message that says "here is my new public key" and is signed
only with its corresponding private key is a form of social
engineering attack; it's like having the name on your driver's
license read "ME".

  Encrypting the message (NOT "signing") with Bob's public key
means that only someone with Bob's private key (i.e., Bob) can
decrypt and read the message.  It could have been sent by anyone
who had Bob's public key, which might or might not be widely known.

Dave Gillett