Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Knowledge Overload - Swimming in a sea of whitepapers.

From: aoratos <aoratos () wideopenwest com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:57:46 -0400

Blake Wiedman wrote:
List,

As a security consultant and long time administrator I have amassed a
huge collection of vulnerability announcements, whitepapers, product
manuals, ebooks, personel case studies, product reviews, research
papers, and notes.  As this has grown into the multiple gig folder size
I am at the point where finding the info I need has become a timely
task.  I was wondering how my peers are handling the mass of information
I know you are collecting.  Is there a product, organization method, or
tribal ritual <grin> you are using to datamine/find what you are looking
for.  I know a lot of products exist but most are for the enterprise or
are only web enabled.  As any consultant knows its better to be self
sustained then require a net connection on a client site.  Does anyone
have a personnel product recommendation or method they use to keep track
of it all.  Windows or Linux is fine, free or commercial I am at home in
both and open to ideas.

Blake

Blake, I am in the same boat. I got fed up with the 2GB of material like you mentioned AND the 800MB of wordlists and tools "I might need sometime" or "I want to check out next time I'm bored in an airport".

I tried out a few document management programs ("Columbus" is the only one that comes to mind). I found them too bulky, they were more geared for managing all documents in a company. Another thing I didn't like is that many required you to check docs into a database for tracking.

Just last week I downloaded a program called OrgaDoc (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/orgadoc) I have not used it yet. What looks promising is that it doesn't require an SQL server to track the documents. It looks like it generates XML docs for each of your document subdirectories which can be edited to include author, date, etc for the document. My hope is that it does NOT generate an XML file for each and every HTML file in an HTML-format book.

I wish I could give you a concrete solution. Please let me know if any good answers come to you off-list.

Aoratos

P.S. I also downloaded TreePad. I think it is more for Personal Information Management for things like phone numbers, notes, directions, etc. I need that too (my Handspring is getting crowded). Hopefully I can get weekend time to play with these tools.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html