Security Basics mailing list archives

Information Security Knowledge Overload - Swimming in a sea of whitepapers.

From: "Blake Wiedman" <bwiedman () iconsinc com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:35:52 -0400

List,

As a security consultant and long time administrator I have amassed a
huge collection of vulnerability announcements, whitepapers, product
manuals, ebooks, personel case studies, product reviews, research
papers, and notes.  As this has grown into the multiple gig folder size
I am at the point where finding the info I need has become a timely
task.  I was wondering how my peers are handling the mass of information
I know you are collecting.  Is there a product, organization method, or
tribal ritual <grin> you are using to datamine/find what you are looking
for.  I know a lot of products exist but most are for the enterprise or
are only web enabled.  As any consultant knows its better to be self
sustained then require a net connection on a client site.  Does anyone
have a personnel product recommendation or method they use to keep track
of it all.  Windows or Linux is fine, free or commercial I am at home in
both and open to ideas.

Blake

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html