Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue - Follow-up

From: jpc <jeempc () sbcglobal net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:17:01 -0400

InHisGrip wrote:

Sorry Tim,

I should have posted this in the group. My
apologies.....

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread from some time now
over the past day or two.

Although this question is somewhat not that much
related to this thread. I was just wondering if some
of you may have an opinion about my question.

We all know or it is a given fact that most of cable
providers/ISP's if not all of them have TOS about
restricting their clients from hosting their own
website by blocking inbound and outbound connections
on port 80. Same goes with port 25 for smtp.

Where there is a workaround this limitation, by
assigning the service blocked  for instance http on a
different non standard port, is there a way that your
cable provider can find out that you are violating the
agreed TOS which will eventually terminate your
contract agreement thereby no more service?

Isn't this TOS a little bit geared towards getting
more profit? Considering most of us cable users are
deprived from hosting our own site? Given the fact
that their intention of cable provider is to protect
other customers from being affected by uncessary spam
and bandwidth hogging of hosted sites with cable
service not to mention the spread of viruses all
around.
What about the people who wanted to host their own
sites which gets few hits in a day? And what about the
costs about paying extra money for web hosting service
and alike. Is this some kind of a monopoly here or
what? No wonder some customers are switching to DSL
which has more lenient TOS'es.
My views and opinions may be wrong here so I am asking
any feedback as well as observation about this matter.

Thanks.

InHisGrip,
Servie