Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue

From: "Tim Sceurman" <tsceurman () pennhighlands edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:13:24 -0400

Having worked for a cable company as an installer, I can tell you a few things:
1) Minimal computer requirements are all that's necessary for a cable modem installer
2) Cable companies do not support routers for one simple fact: MONEY!
Since a router allows multiple computers to connect, the ISPs are losing that extra $5 per (or whatever they charge).
Hence, no routers.  A few years back, I actually had a customer tell me that they had been told that they couldn't use
a router AT AL:L, and that they would be fined for using one (partly why ATT doesn't do cable service anymore).  When
doing an initial set-up, the ISP wants to try to get you to pay for extra systems.   As for the A/V and FW issue, I
can't say for certain, but it probably has to do with the crap that gets installed from the CD.

Tim