Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus on web facing servers??

From: flurdoing <flur () flurnet org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:28:18 -0400

They should, without a doubt, be running AV software. Modern viruses and
worms authors are always finding new ways to propagate their malware.
You never know what services will be vulnerable to the next attack and
thus there is no real reason why not to run antivirus software and *KEEP
IT UPDATED*. Your updated anti-virus scanner can operate as a simple
form of intrusion detection, alerting you of malicious code that has
found its way onto your servers...

The only real loss apart from the financial cost of the application is
an overhead due to the AV scanners' memory resident nature. This is a
small price to pay for the *added* piece of mind.

Do not be fooled into thinking an AV scanner is enough to keep you
secure, but it certainly is another important utility which all
administrators should take advantage of.

flur.