Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Anti-Virus on web facing servers??

From: Danny Messano <danny () logicalcomputing net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:12:08 -0400

Hello Augustine,

Yes, AV is just as important as drivers and patches (I include anti-spyware in with that as well for client machines).

With the ability to remote admin and custom configure AV per groups and such (like Symantec AV), you can roll out SOME
form of AV To just about every machine imaginable, tweak them remotely, and run a safe and secure enterprise.  Have a
machine that doesnt like Real-Time scanning.. Set up some exclusions, and/or make it do a full system scan at 2am or
something.  There is always a way with AV..

Danny Messano

Friday, July 9, 2004, 4:10:04 PM, you wrote:

AD> I manage a network of 100+ Win servers, all servers have AV running. I
AD> see this as a standard part of my configuriation. Not an option.

AD> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:32:50 -0500, Dan Tesch <dan.tesch () comcast net> wrote:
Hello, I just started with a company that has three
web facing W2K servers running IIS & SQL.

My question; they are patched and behind a firewall
but have no Anti-Virus running - can I get some feedback
on whether these boxes should be running AV??

They are on a network at a COLO just by themselves
ie: no desktops but get FTP uploads regularly for
content.

Thanks

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

--

Best regards,