Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: firewalls that can ssl ftp?

From: John LeMay <jlemay () njmc com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:57:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Lindner wrote:

Ken Dallarax schrieb:

Anyone have experience with good ways to do secure ftp (ftp over ssl) in an enterprise setting? We use ftp for
partner apps and want to encrypt everything. Looked at secure ftp servers from Valicert, etc. but they seem like
overkill. Does anyone know of a firewall that does ssl that can also encrypt ftp?

AFAIK you can't use FTP over SSL.
But you can use the SSH-FTP- Server/Client which is crypted by design.

Cheers,
Marek

Marek is right on track here. Take a look at Windows clients like putty
with psftp and CuteFTP Pro. IIRC my *nix machines all have a "sftp"
binary.

--
John LeMay
kc2kth

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!