Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network discovery

From: Magnus Påhlsson <mfp () itn liu se>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:33:00 +0100

This isn't the right forum for my question but since the thread already exists I might as well continue.

I'm writing my own perl+mysql(+apache) for network management. I use SNMP to gather information from switches and routers (and possibly hosts in the future) which is then made available through a webUI[1]. I've found pretty much all I need but what I can't find is a good way to get the physical network topology using SNMP. I know it's possible since software such as 3com Network Supervisor does it. I just don't know HOW it does it. Are there any SNMP-knowing people out there who could point me in the general direction of either a single OID or which OIDs I can use to figure it out on my own? My network consists of 95% 3com hardware and the rest is HP and Cisco so unfortunatley I can't use CDP.

It doesn't matter if your knowledge only applies to Cisco (or any other brand for that matter) since what works for one brand usually works for the other, just in a different way or with other OIDs.

And if all else fails, can anyone point me in the general direction of a better forum for my question?

Thanks,
Magnus

Nagy Gergely wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to ask all of you, if you have every used a network discovery
tool? I have a network with more than 5000 PC's and more than 70 sites in
the country. I would like to create an analysis about the network nodes,
line between them, speed of the lines etc. Would it be possible with a tool
to discover the whole internal network, with routers, gateways and all the
important datas?

Thanks for all...

Gery

Ez a level virusellenorzesen esett at!

This message was checked against viruses!

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------