Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption question

From: Lars Georg Paulsen <maillist () braindead nu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:52:52 +0100

As I have just picked this info out from something I have read,
I don't understand the hole theory behind it all.

A mistake by me, is calling it the himlic method... it's actually called
Diffie-Hellman key exchange method. This is only, Not a encrypting
algorithm, but to exchange a key, with out exchanging the key.

As I understand out from what I have read, you have no two keys, that
will be able to encrypt and decrypt the same messange.

I found a quite good article about the method, if anyone is interrested.
http://www.netip.com/articles/keith/diffie-helman.htm

This is usally just used, for lots of traffic, because if you use to
asymetric keys the encrypting and decrypting will take quite a long
time, with this method the keys are symetric, then there will be a lot
faster transfer.

If I understand right, this can be ablyed to any almost anything, but if
it's worth doing it on a email messange, that's the questions, the it
would be easyer to encrypt the messange with bob's public key and sign
it with alice private key....

As I said in the beginning, I don't understand the hole theory.. so if I
wrong, please correct me.

regards
Lars Georg Paulsen.