Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption question

From: "Jordan, Jason D. \"Dallas\"" <Jason.Jordan () honeywell-tsi com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:45:13 -0500

Tony,
    I believe, in order to spoof a digital signature of Alice, you would need to get her private key....which she
should have securely stored somewhere.  A hash of the message is done and then encrypted with Alices private key.  The
only other key that
can decrypt it is the public key generated with her original key pair.  You could substitute Alice's public key with
your public key so when Bob used that public key to encrypt  the message meant for Alice, you could intercept it and
read the message.
Then you could re-encrypt it with Alice's real public key and send it on to her.  Kinda like a man in the middle deal.
I think this is how it works, I could be wrong. Does that help any?

Dallas Jordan  MCSE, CCNA, Security+
Electronics Technician II
Honeywell Technology Solutions
1010 Bankton Drive