Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Keen to test out root kits

From: "Matt Lyon" <themattlyon () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:47:05 -0800

I am keen to test out root kits on my lap-top. I've just discovered http://www.rootkit.com. Is it safe to install rootkits on my lap-top and it is not an opportunity for the writer to get back door access to my lap-top / home network?

Is it safe? If you can't read the code then you never know.

If you want to play around with root kits then expect to reload the OS. That will be the only way you can get your system positively clean again. Plan for the worst to happen.. ie. It is actually a backdoor. So don't do anything online when you are using them. You should be able to do any tests on it you want from a home network.

Have fun.... After all it is only software....

Matt

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200364ave/direct/01/

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php