Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Keen to test out root kits

From: Dedric Ramsey - Ramsey Consulting Svcs <ramseycs () bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:33:28 -0500

Is this a laptop you need on a daily basis? Personally, I wouldnt expose a machine to a root kit or anything like it unless it was a machine that I could wipe clean at will. It doesnt cost a whole lot to build or acquire machines for this very purpose. (Im talking a good deal less than $1000, esp if they are used) You can hit them with whatever you like and not be out of a primary machine, or worry about and back doors being introduced.

Dedric Ramsey
Ramsey Consulting Services
770-826-8008

Patrick Fong wrote:

Hi

I am keen to test out root kits on my lap-top. I've just discovered http://www.rootkit.com. Is it safe to install rootkits on my lap-top and it is not an opportunity for the writer to get back door access to my lap-top / home network?

What other stuff can I try with the rootkits?

Cheers
Patrick

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php